Thursday 21 March 2019

Midlife in Mallorca

This blog has slowly been grinding to an almost-halt. Now and again stories happen which would be blog worthy, thoughts occasionally need to be written down but mostly the days go by in a blur of kids, animals, survival and the odd vino. Life has become very normal here on this island, good normal, content normal.

I no longer feel like writing as a mama, though of course that role will be with me forever. The children are leggy and independent, they hang around shopping centres and video call their friends. They hide themselves in their bedrooms until food occurs. My role has been changing constantly, and although I am just as needed I don't feel it is fair to write of parenting teenagers - when life is about to become excruciating enough.

I look in the mirror daily and see fast changes to my face. Those lines and crevices deepen, the grey is coming in faster than I can get to the hairdressers. There are sun spots on my hard-working hands that shock me as I drive - are those my hands I am looking at? Gravity does its thing despite twice weekly Pilates and daily riding of my horse. Up until now I couldn't have given a shit what I looked like, but midlife has landed with a bump and the inevitability of demise is upon me.

So the blog has metamorphosed, the next phase of life to be cherished and opportunities beckon. Always a mum but now a time of middle age and it's madness.

I hope you join me on the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment